If your HP printer throws the message “Printer in error state,” then it’s high time you look for alternatives to solve such errors. Generally, this issue takes place while upgrading the new operating system. At that moment, printer drivers tend to be incompatible with the new updates in your system. Thus, your HP printer cannot print documents or take instructions from the computer and shows this error.
But this error problem can be fixed easily if proper guidance is available. Therefore, this blog explains a few ways to fix the HP Printer in Error State in Windows 10 problem.
Let’s learn how to fix your faulty printer with simple steps. But before we move ahead, first find out why you are encountering this problem with your printer.
Why Is My Printer in Error State?
Your HP printer gives you an error – HP printer in an error state? If so, your printer is not functioning as it should. You can encounter this error due to various reasons. Some of them are mentioned below.
Possible Reasons for HP Printer in an Error State-
Here are some common reasons behind the printer being in an error state:
- Overheating Printer Unit
- Faulty and Outdated Printer Drivers
- Poor Connection Between Printer and Computer
- Misconfigured Settings Between Hardware & Software
- Corrupted File in Printer Spooler
- Paper Jam in your Printer
- Low Ink Level Cartridges
These common issues can lead to the printer being in an error state. So, let’s fix it to get rid of the problem instantly! To help our users, we have compiled a list of solutions that are easy to follow.
Here Are the Steps to Resolve the Error Message “HP Printer in Error State” in Windows 10
The solutions below can be very effective if you follow them carefully to get rid of the Printer in Error State issue. So, let’s proceed:
Solution 1: Run a Power Cycle
Prolonged use of printers can cause overheating of device hardware, and it may suddenly stop working.
To run a power cycle, use the given steps to cool down the printer:
- Turn off the printer unit.
- Now, remove the power cable from the power supply.
- Turn off the computer system.
- Turn on the computer after waiting for 30 seconds.
- Connect the printer power cable and “Turn On” the printer.
Solution 2: Run Troubleshooter
To make your printer work like the original, you must run troubleshooters with your printer if your printer is in an error state.
Follow the steps to run the troubleshooter:
- Ensure that the printer is “Turned On” and is plugged into a working power supply.
- Go to the “Start” button and type “Troubleshoot” in the search field.
- In the list, select “Troubleshooting.”
- A new window will open.
- Click “View All” and then scroll down to the printer option.
- After that, click on the “Advanced” option to run troubleshooting for your printer.
- Click on “Run as Administrator.”
- Now, click on the “Next” button to start troubleshooting for your printer to solve the error in state.
- If the troubleshooter is unable to find any issues, then your printer might need to update the drivers.
- To update printer drivers, click on the “Start” button.
- Then, select “Device Manager.”
- Now, click on expand printer option and select your printer from the list given on the screen.
- You have to right-click on your printer and update the printer driver.
Solution 3: Reinstall Faulty Printer Drivers
Corrupted or outdated printer drivers or software may sometimes be the main cause of this error. Therefore, reinstalling those faulty or outdated printer drivers can fix your problem.
To do this, let’s see the process.
Follow the steps to reinstall printer drivers:
- First, disconnect the printer from your computer device.
- Click on the “Windows” + “R” buttons to open the “Run” box.
- Type “Control” in the text field, and click “Ok.”
- Click on “View Devices and Printers.”
- Right-click on your printer, and then select “Remove Device.”
- Now, click “Yes” to confirm.
- Then, restart your computer.
- Once finished, it should automatically detect and install your printer.
Note: Although the outdated driver can be updated manually, using the automatic method will save you time and provide reliable results.
Method 4: Check the Printer for Paper Jam
Printer jam is another major reason for HP Printer error state issues. Damaged rollers, incorrect loading of paper, and use of low-quality papers and cartridges are common reasons for printer paper jams.
Follow the simple steps to get out of paper jam issue with the printer:
- Turn off the printer.
- Open the front panel and remove the Ink cartridges.
- Examine the rollers for any piece of torn paper.
- Pull out the paper gently.
- Use pincers for a very small piece of paper.
- Open the rear access door of the printer, and remove the jammed paper, if any.
Method 5: Check the Ink Cartridges level
You should always check the ink levels regularly, even if you recently refilled them. If your printer doesn’t have a sufficient ink cartridge, it is time to change it in order to make your printer function well.
Here are the steps to check the ink level:
- Click on the “Start” or “Windows” icon.
- Go to “Settings.”
- Select the “Devices and Printers.”
- Double-click on the HP printer.
- Finally, check the ink levels in the status area.
If you realize that your cartridge’s ink level is low, you should replace it immediately with no further delay.
Method 6: Make Print Spooler Service Automatic
Print Spooler manages print jobs sent from the computer. And if the print spooler gets overloaded due to excess use or too many print jobs are sent to the printer quickly, it often fails to function properly and leads to an HP printer error state.
Follow these steps to start Print Spooler services:
- Click “Windows Key” + “R” to open the Run dialog box.
- Type “services. msc” and press enter.
- Search for the “Print Spooler” service in the list, right-click it, and select “Properties.”
- In the drop-down menu, against the “Startup Type,” choose “Automatic.”
- Click “Apply” and then “Ok” at the bottom.
- Now, click to reboot your computer.
It will take some time to restart the spooler service. If the restart option is unavailable, click to turn the spooler off, wait for 30 seconds and turn it back on.
Method 7: Update Your Windows 10
Follow the steps to update your Windows 10:
- Press the “Windows” + “I” buttons to open “Settings.”
- After that, click on the “Update and Security”.
- In the “Windows Update” tab, click “Check for Updates.”
- If any update is available, click on “Download and Install” button.
- Then, click to “Restart” your computer and check for updating Windows.
The printer in error state problem should be fixed after updating Windows to its latest version. If not, jump to the last solution.
Method 8: Reinstall the HP Printer
Fresh installation of the HP printer may solve the error issues most time.
Follow the steps mentioned below to reinstall the HP printer:
- First, remove all printer cards from the computer.
- Go to the “Start” menu.
- Select “Settings” button.
- Click on the “System” option.
- Scroll Down to locate the HP printer.
- Click on “Uninstall” and restart your computer & printer.
- Now, connect the computer to the printer.
- And follow the prompts on the screen.
Ask A1 Printer Repair – How to Fix HP Printer in Error State Issue!
Hopefully, with the above-listed methods, you can get your printer out of this state and start printing your documents again.
Next time your printer displays the same error message, follow the solutions listed above to get rid of the printer in error state and resume its routine printer operations.
But, if you need additional information and expert advice on fixing an HP printer in an error state, call +1(928) 514-2464; Printer Repair Service in Alaska is the best place to get connected with an experienced team in your area.